Decision to Establish the Organizational Statutes for the Permanent Advisory Committee for the Nomination of Academic Leaders (according to the following context) Preface
According to Article (thirty six ) of the Higher Education Council and Universities System issued by Royal Decree No. (M / 8) dated 4/6/1414 AH “The dean of the college or institute shall be appointed from among the Saudi faculty members who are distinguished with scientific and administrative competence by a decision from the Minister Higher Education, based on the nomination of the university president, for a period of two years subject to renewing. Article (thirty-nine) of the aforementioned law reads: “Deans of Supporting Deanships shall be appointed from among the Saudi faculty members who are distinguished by scientific and administrative competence by a decision from the Minister of Higher Education, based on the nomination of the president of the university for a period of two years, subject to renewing. In view of the important role of academic leaders, in leading the development of academic and supporting deanships and the university’s aspiration to enhance professional institutional work, King Khalid University was keen on establishing an advisory committee entrusted with the tasks assigned to it in light of the current statutes, and which applies codified criteria for selecting qualified competent candidates, that demonstrate personal qualities, leadership skills and academic experiences, to provide an opportunity for self-nomination and an equal gender opportunities, and to apply fairness and transparency. On paragraph (11) of Article (Twenty) of the Higher Education Council and Universities System, the University Council decided to approve these regulations in light of the following articles:
The following terms and expressions contained in this bylaw indicate the meaning set in front of it, unless the context requires otherwise:
The Committee: The permanent advisory committee for the nomination of Academic Leaders.
Academic Leader: A faculty member from the university assigned to work as dean or supervisor in one of the academic or supporting deanships.
Academic Deanship: Deanship, college or institute, that includes a number of scientific departments.
Supporting Deanship: A service deanship or institute, that does not include scientific departments.
Committee Chairman: Chair of the committee, assigned by a decision issued by the University President.
Committee member: Member assigned to work in the implementation of the committee's work by a decision of the university president.
Committee Formation, Finance and Legislation
1. The committee administratively follows the university president and carries out the tasks entrusted to it, according to the bylaws and decision of its formation, in a manner that does not contradict general applicable laws, regulations and decisions.
2. The committee shall be formed based on an administrative decision issued by the university president. Members of the committee must demonstrate distinguished leadership and academic experience
3.The number of members shall be odd, and the decision to form it shall determine the duration of its work and its specializations.
- The committee is held at the invitation of its chairman, provided that the invitation to the meeting is addressed well in advance of its date and includes the meeting agenda. The committee’s meeting is not valid unless at least two-thirds of its members, including the chairman, attend. Decisions are issued by the majority of votes of the attendees. In the case of an even vote, the vote that includes the President vote wins.
2. The committee chairperson manages the committee’s work and is responsible for its work before the university president.
3. The committee chairperson may assign a representative from the committee members when his attendance is not possible.
4. The committee has the right to seek the opinion of whomever it deems necessary when needed.
1. The committee's work is characterized by accuracy and transparency to achieve fairness, and all work is computerized and technically documented.
2. The committee's work is confidential all parties that look into it must not divulge.
Article Five :
The committee is treated financially as a standing committee at the university.