On Tuesday 09/01/1419 AH (06/05/1998 AD) HRH Crown Prince–may God protect him- ordered the merger of Imam Mohammad Ibn Saud Islamic University and King Saud University in the Southern Region into one entity under the new identity of 'King Khalid University'. Later, on 11/3/1419 AH (6/7/1998 AD), a Royal Decree, Decree 7/78/M was issued to complete all regular procedures necessary to effect the merger. The University's first budget was issued on 14/09/1419 AH (02/01/1999 AD) within the general state budget.
The University is in Aseer region in the southwestern part of Saudi Arabia. The area of Aseer region is about 80.000 square kilometres occupied with more than 1.600.000 people distributed in seventy- eight governorate and centres.
King Khalid University strives for a leading role with regional roots, international dimensions, knowledge and research excellence and effective community contribution through qualitative competence.
King Khalid University commits to providing relevant academic environments for high-quality education, conducting innovative scientific research, providing constructive community services, and maximizing the employment of knowledge techniques.
- Achieving the aspirations of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in the development of constructive knowledge that contributes to the support of the religious and national goals.
- Attaining a distinguished level in knowledge, research and community services.
- Achieving comprehensive quality standards and obtaining programmatic and academic accreditation in accordance with national and international standards.
- Creating a relevant academic environment for attracting distinct faculty members and to promote their cognitive and professional capabilities.
- Activating the utilization of technology in order to build a knowledge-based society.
- Balancing the prospects of the University's output and job market requirements.
- Securing an innovative and educational environment for students; and maintaining contacts with the University's graduates.
- Establishing academic connections between the University and regional and international research centers.